Getting stuck in traffic is a common thing for short-distance travelers in India. Population, the overall infrastructure of roads and lack of planning are the primary reasons for the increasing congestion on the streets here. Owing to this reason, most of the daily commuters in India spend more time behind the wheels, compared to other countries. When it comes to last-mile connectivity, people choose either auto or taxi as a solution. However, these rides can cause delays and inconveniences. This gap can be filled by a more feasible option like online bike taxi!
The Popularity of Bike Taxis in India
With the rapid urbanization, there has been a marked effect on India’s transport demand. Though the public transport and app-based cabs are catering to the mobility needs of the public to an extent, last-mile connectivity is still a challenge. In countries like India, where the roads are overcrowded by private vehicles and buses, short-distance rides take more time than long-distance rides. An average working professional has to travail long queues of vehicles on the road to commute to the office that is only a few Kilometers away. The concept of Online Bike Taxis emerges as a boon in such bleak situations.
- Over the past years, Bike taxis has emerged as one of the convenient modes of daily transportation in the major cities of India.
- Bike taxis not only offers value-for-money rides but also reduces the congestion on roads, thus controlling the traffic.
As more and more people are depending on the bike taxis now, owing to its convenience, a lot of startups come forward to offer more bike taxi services. Booking a two-wheeler taxi is as simple as booking a cab. All you need to do is to Google ‘bike taxi near me’ or download any such app and follow the instructions!
The Challenges Faced
Every good initiative has its own challenges. The biggest challenge for bike taxi startups is the lack of legal regulations.
- Though many states approve the bike taxi services, some states still refuse to accept bikes as a commercial transport system.
- Considering the situation of the roads, another challenge could be safety. Though the startups and government are considering helmets, a necessity to ride a two-wheeler, a large percentage of public still hesitates to follow the rule. This, again raises the question of safety.
- Another challenge could be the lack of female riders who will be hesitant to take a ride with a male stranger. However, this can be overcome by appointing female drivers.
Considering the number of private vehicles and buses that could swarm the roads in future, bike taxi services have a good chance to outshine other app-based transportation services in the coming years. With proper regulations from the government and improved safety measures, we might see a boom in the bike taxi service industry. In future, bike taxis could emerge as a major means of transport as it is affordable, convenient, and fast.